SCALE Student Participant Guide

Contact Information – (410) 516-4800

Identification Badge

  • J-Card will be issued. To report a lost or stolen card, contact the J-Card Office.
  • Gives you access to JHU gym, library and other secure buildings.



  • MyJHU is Johns Hopkins’ intranet portal where you can:
    • Create or Reset Your JHED Password
    • Access/Update Your JHU Profile
    • Access Your JHU Outlook Email Account
    • Access Cloud Resources (e.g. OneDrive, Box)
    • Access HR and Payroll Information
  • Paychecks 
    • Paid semi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month.
    • Employee Self Service shows pay stub and/or if a check has been issued.
  • Employee Self-Service
    • Navigate to HR section and choose “ESS.” Log in again. You can:
      • View your pay stub(s).
      • Sign up for direct deposit.
      • Make changes to your tax withholding forms.
      • Update your address.
      • Add a nickname to your personal information.
      • Everyone has access to ESS, including students. There are a few exceptions:
        • New employees who have not yet received their first pay check.
        • Employees who have not completed the I-9 can’t access tax or direct deposit info.
  • Direct Deposit
    • Navigate to HR section and choose “ESS.” Log in again.
    • Click on “Payroll Information” and select direct deposit
    • Click edit to enter your bank’s routing number and account number.
    • Choose direct deposit as the payment method.
    • Check the disclaimer box and hit review before hitting save.
  • W-2s 
    • Will be issued a W-2 form on or before January 31
    • Student will receive a copy of their W-2 by mail.
    • Update address in ESS and confirm that HR has current mailing address.
    • Any questions about your W-2, please email or call 443-997-8688.
  • Tax Forms


  • Complete cover sheet with all fields completed.
  • Number receipts, so they correspond to the row in your reimbursement request form.
  • Original receipts are required for expenses over $25.00.
  • Itemized food receipts are required, regardless of price to verify that alcohol was not purchased.
  • JHU regulations prohibit reimbursement of alcohol.  Deduct alcohol charges before submitting.
  • Proof of mileage is required (e.g., Mapquest screenshot).
  • Scan entire file and email as single PDF.
  • Setup direct deposit for faster reimbursement.


Human Language Technology Center of Excellence